As an executive coach, you’re spending a good portion of your time growing your business. This means seeking new clients and opportunities; even veteran coaches take time to plant seeds and see if they grow into new ventures. You may have wondered the best way to market your coaching skills: networking.
Networking is an ancient art that still rewards you with new leads, albeit with more high-tech strategies than in the old days. If you hesitate to network, consider this: successful coaches and leaders share the common trait of being drawn to people. They enjoy the interactions that take them into new territory. If you struggle with networking, or want to make the most of networking opportunities, try these tips:
- Approach networking as an adventure or quest; a way to grow, learn and meet new people, with the hopes of discovering a mutual need. The more you network, the more comfortable and confident you’ll become.
- Attend live events: Seek opportunities to participate in business presentations, discussions, roundtables or conventions. Your primary field of clientele will likely originate from these encounters. Make the most of the exposure by finding out current and anticipated issues your clients face, and how you can help them find the best solutions.
- Be sure to make as many introductions (and referrals) as you can, helping new acquaintances and long-time friends connect for mutual benefit. This also helps with second and third levels of connection; a win-win for everyone.
- Network electronically: Find networking and social media platforms that serve your prospective clients best, such as LinkedIn, and provide content that offers solutions to the problems your readers and clients face. Share newsletters, blogs, whitepapers and articles—all essential for electronic networking.
- Take advantage of Content for Coaches: a resource for all the leadership content you need to make your name known, with valuable information your prospective clients can use. Your name and experience are kept top-of-mind if you consistently provide helpful content that draws attention to you and your services. Your name will become known by many.
What do you think? Would you add, or change anything on our list? We’d love to hear your best marketing stories; send us an email. We’re passionate about your success and the help you’re providing leaders!